Makanek also known as ma’ahani sausage is a small Lebanese sausage. As Muslims do not eat pork or consume alcohol a reliable recipe should not include such ingredients. Using weak spirits like wine is usually permitted in cooking.
|Beef||800 g||1.76 lb|
|Lamb||200 g||0.44 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||15 g||2-1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Cumin||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Nutmeg||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Cinnamon||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Pine nuts||15 g||1/2 oz|
|Vinegar||15 ml||1 Tbsp|
|White wine||15 ml||1 Tbsp|
- Grind meats through 1/4” (6 mm) plate.
- Cool for 30 minutes in a freezer then grind through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Mix salt and spices with wine and vinegar. Pour over ground meat, add pine nuts and mix all well together.
- Stuff into 26 mm sheep casings forming 5” (12 cm) links.
- Cook before serving by frying or grilling.