Fish Ham Sausage
Fish Ham Sausage is made with tuna chunks and ground white-fleshed fish, in this recipe cod is used. To develop pink color tuna has been cured with Cure 1 otherwise it will be blackish red. Ground cod provides white background and tuna chunks are the show meat.
|Tuna||500 g||1.10 lb|
|Cod||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Pork back fat||150 g||0.33 lb|
|Pork skins||50 g||0.11 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt for curing||9 g||1.5 tsp|
|Cure 1||1.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Salt for mixing||6 g||1 tsp|
|White pepper||2 g||1 tsp|
|Potato starch||15 g||1 Tbsp|
- Cook pork skins in a little water Below the boiling point) until soft what will take about 60-90 minutes.
- Cut tuna into 1" (25 mm) cubes. Mix with Cure 1 and 9 g of salt. Firmly pack in a container, cover with cloth and hold for 72 hours in refrigerator.
- Grind fat, skins and cod through 1/8" (3 mm) plate.
- Mix all together adding remaining salt and spices. Do not grind tuna, however, you may cut it into smaller pieces if a smaller casing is employed.
- Stuff firmly into 4" (10 cm) synthetic protein lined casings.
- Cook in water at 80° C (176° F) for 75 minutes.
- Cool for 15 minutes in cold water, briefly dry and refrigerate.
The sausage can be made in a round or square ham mold. In such a case after cooking step cool the mold and insert it for 8 hours into refrigerator. The, remove the sausage from the mold.