Zgornjesavinjski želodec is produced in the Upper Savinja valley in Slovenia. Zgornjesavinjski želodec carries PGI, 2011 classification.
|Lean pork: shoulder, leg||800 g||1.76 lb|
|Back fat||200 g||0.44 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||30 g||5 tsp|
|Sugar||5.0 g||1 tsp|
|Pepper||3.0 g||1-1/2 tsp|
|Garlic||15 g||5 cloves|
- Grind lean pork through 3/8” (10 mm) plate. Cut back fat into 5/16” (8 mm) cubes.
- Mix meat and spices together.
- Stuff into pork stomach, bladder or artificial casing.
- Hold for 10 days in a cool room (4° C/40° F) between two wooden planks.Place some weight on top board.
- Dry between 12-18° C (53-64° F), 60-80% humidity for 3-5 months. The sausage should loose at least 36% of its original weight. It should be covered with a grayish mold.
- Store at 8° C (48° F) or lower.