Salchichón de Vic
Salchichón de Vic also known as Llonganissa de Vic is made in the province of Barcelona. Salchichón de Vic carries PGI, 2001 classification.
|Lean pork: shoulder, leg||800 g||1.76 lb|
|Pork belly||200 g||0.44 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||28 g||5 tsp|
|Black pepper||4.0 g||2 tsp|
|Cure #2||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Dextrose||3.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|T-SPX culture||0.12 g||use scale|
- Grind meat through 5/16” (8 mm) plate.
- Grind pork belly through 5/16” (8 mm) plate.
- 30 minutes before mixing dissolve starter culture in 1 tablespoon de-chlorinated water.
- Mix ground meats with all ingredients.
- Stuff firmly into 40 mm hog casings or larger diameter beef casings.
- Ferment at 20º C (68º F) for 72 hours, 90-85% humidity.
- Dry at 16 → 12º C (60-54º F), 85 → 80% humidity for 45 days (or longer depending on a diameter of the casing). The sausage is dried until around 30% in weight is lost. The sausage should develop a white mold which is expected.
- Store sausages at 10-15º C (50-59º F), <75% humidity.