Meats and Sausages
Chorizo Riojano (Chorizo de la Rioja) is made in the autonomous community of La Rioja in Spain. The sausage carries Protective Geographical Indication (PGI 2010) award.
|Lean pork from shoulder, loin||700 g||1.54 lb|
|Pork belly, back fat||300 g||0.66 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||28 g||5 tsp|
|Cure #2||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Dextrose||2.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Sugar||3.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pimentón, sweet||25 g||4 Tbsp|
|Pimentón, hot||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Garlic, minced||7.0 g||2 cloves|
- Grind all meat through 3/8” plate (10 mm).
- Mix meat with all ingredients.
- Hold the sausage mass for 24 hours in refrigerator.
- Stuff the sausage mass in: 32-34 mm pork casings making 30 cm (12") rings (sarta style), OR 40-50 mm pork or beef middles forming straight sections (vela style).
- Dry/ferment at 22-24º C (72-75º F), 80-85% for 2-4 days. In home production the temperature of the chamber was controlled by burning oak wood.
- Dry at 12-15º C (53-59º F), 75-80% humidity for: 32-34 mm casings - 15-18 days, OR 40-50 mm pork middles - 25-30 days.
- Store sausages at 10-12º C (50-53º F), 65-70% humidity or refrigerate.
Consume straight sausages (vela) - raw, ring sausages (sarta) - raw, cooked or fried. Sarta style linking sausages is also known as herradura.