|Lean pork||700 g||1.54 lb|
|Back fat, jowls, hard fat trimmings||300 g||0.66 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||28 g||5 tsp|
|Cure #2||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Dextrose (glucose)||3.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Sugar||3.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Sweet Pimentón (smoked paprika)||10 g||3 tsp|
|Hot Pimentón||4.0 g||1-1/2 tsp|
|Garlic powder||4.0 g||1-1/2 tsp|
|F-LC or L-HP culture||0.25 g||use scale|
- Grind pork through 5/16” (8 mm) plate.
- 30 min before use, mix culture with 15 ml (1 Tbsp) de-chlorinated water.
- Mix all ingredients with ground pork.
- Stuff firmly into 24 mm sheep casings. Make 24” (60 cm) long links.
- Ferment at 24º C (75º F) for 48 hours, 90-85% humidity.
- Dry at 16-12º C (60-54º F), 85-80% humidity for 3 weeks. (Larger diameter casing will require longer drying time). The sausage is dried until around 30-35% in weight is lost.
- Store sausages at 10-15º C (50-59º F), 75% humidity.
Chistorra sausage is consumed often fried and in such a case it can be served at any time after stuffing. It will, however, develop a different flavor after being fermented and dried.