Botillo del Bierzo
Botillo del Barzo is a type of smoked sausage which is stuffed into pig’s cap (caecup), a large diameter pouch which is the beginning of a large intestine. The weight of Borillo del Bierzo averages 1 kg (2.2 lb).The El Bierzo region, made up of 38 municipalities located to the west of the province of Leon (Castile-Leon), Spain. Botillo del Bierzo carries PGI, 2001 classification.
|Pork rib meat||700 g||1.54 lb|
|Bone-in tails||100 g||0.22 lb|
|Tongue||100 g||0.22 lb|
|Meat trimmings||100 g||0.22 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||24 g||4 tsp|
|Cure # 2*||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Sugar||5.0 g||1 tsp|
|Pimentón, sweet||15 g||3 tsp|
|Pimentón, hot||10 g||2 tsp|
|Oregano, rubbed||2.0 g||3 tsp|
|Garlic, minced||20 g||6 cloves|
- Chop ribs and tails into smaller pieces. Do not remove bones.
- Chop other meats.
- Mix with salt, cure and all ingredients. Put into food grade plastic bag and place in refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Stuff firmly into a large diameter casing like pork cap or bung.
- Using oak wood apply a thin smoke at 18° C (64° F) for 4 days.
- Dry at 16-12° C (60-54° F) for 3 weeks.
- Store at 12° C (60° F), <65% humidity.
The required amount of rib meat 65-90%
The required amount of tail meat 10-20%
Trimmings from the following parts may be also incorporated: tongue, jowls, shoulder, backbone meat.
This is a dry, fermented version of the sausage that is ready to eat.
Botillo del Barzo is usually served in a form of a stew which is made by boiling botillo with cabbage, potatoes and a few fresh chorizos, a task that requires from 2 -2-1/2 hours.