Sobrasada is a very popular sausage in Balearic Island. As the “mallorquina” name implies this sausage recipes originates in the island of Mallorca. Sobrasada includes a lot of pimentón, when made with sweet pimentón only it is known as sweet sobrasada (“dulce”) and when hot pimentón is added it becomes hot sobrasada (“picante”).
|Pork, lean||380 g||0.83 lb|
|Pork belly||270 g||0.59 lb|
|Back fat||350 g||0.77 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||20 g||3.5 tsp|
|Black pepper||6.0 g||6 tsp|
|Pimentón, sweet||60 g||10 Tbsp|
|Pimentón, hot||10 g||5 tsp|
- Grind meat and fat through 5 mm (1/4 tsp).
- Mix ground meat and fat with salt and spices. Hold in refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Stuff into 40-100 mm pork casings.
- Dry at 15-18° C (59-64° F) for 30-45 days depending on the diameter of the sausage. The sausage is ready to eat.
- Store at 12° C (53° F), 60% humidity or refrigerate.
Majorcan sobrasada is traditionally served on bread and topped with variety of spreads such as honey, sugar or apricot jam.