Salchichón is Spanish dry sausage made usually from pork. Salchichón de Lugo is Galician version that is made from pork and beef. Because Lugo is a province in Galicia, the sausage might as well be called Salchichón Gallego. Salchichón de Lugo is made with white and black pepper, the sausage is dried, but not smoked.
|Pork, lean (shoulder)||650 g||1.43 lb|
|Beef||100 g||0.22 lb|
|Back fat or hard fat trimmings||250 g||0.55 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||25 g||4 tsp|
|Cure #2||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Sugar||3.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|White pepper, ground||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Black pepper, ground||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Black pepper, crushed||2.0 g||1 tsp|
- Grind meats and fat through 3-5 mm (1/8-1/4") plate.
- Mix with salt, cure #2 and pepper and hold in refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Stuff into large diameter (55-60 mm) pork casings.
- Dry at 15 -12° C, (59-53° F), 75-85% humidity for 2 months.
- Store at 12° C (53° F), <70% humidity.
Oregano, garlic and nutmeg are often added.