Salami-Polish with Culture (Polskie salami made with culture)
Most countries make their own version of salamis and so does Poland. The following is the popular traditional recipe made with starter culture.
|Lean pork||400 g||0.88 lb|
|Lean beef||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Back fat||300 g||0.66 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||28 g||5 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Dextrose||3.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||3.0 g||1.5 tsp|
|Cardamom||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|T-SPX culture||0.12 g||use scale|
- Grind pork and back fat through 3/16” plate (5 mm). Grind beef with 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- 30 minutes before mixing dissolve starter culture in 1 tablespoon de-chlorinated water.
- Mix all ingredients with ground meat.
- Stuff firmly into beef middles or 3” protein lined fibrous casings.
- Ferment at 20º C (68º F) for 72 hours, 90-85% humidity.
- Cold smoke for 12 hours at 18º C (64º F).
- Dry at 16-12º C (60-54º F), 85-80% humidity. In about 6-8 weeks a shrink of 30% should be achieved.
- Store sausages at 10-15º C (50-59º F), <75% humidity.