Salam de Sibiu
Sibiu is a well known Romanian salami with over a hundred years of tradition. The production area of the “Sibiu sausages” includes the territory of the following administrative regions: department of Bacau, Brasov county, city Bucharest, Covasna County, department of Calarasi, Ilfov County, Prahova and department Sibiu.
Salam de Sibiu carries PGI, 2016 classification.
|Lean pork||700 g||1.54 lb|
|Back fat||300 g||0.66 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||30 g||5 tsp|
|Cure #2||5.0 g||1 tsp|
|Dextrose||2.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Sugar||2.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||4.0 g||2 tsp|
|Garlic powder||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Red wine||15 ml||1 Tbsp|
|T-SPX culture||0.12 g||use scale|
|Mold 600 (Penicillium nalgiovense)||follow instructions|
- Grind lean meat through 1/8-3/16” (3-4 mm) plate.
- Cut fat into 1/8-3/16” (3-4 mm) cubes or grind through 1/8-3/16” (3-4 mm) plate.
- 30 minutes before mixing dissolve starter culture in 1 tablespoon de-chlorinated water.
- Mix lean pork with salt and cure #2. Add spices and culture. Mix. Add diced fat and mix all together.
- Stuff firmly into 60-90 mm horse or collagen casings making 8-12” (20-30 cm) straight links, clipped or tied at both ends.
- Dry sausages for 24 hours at 10-15° C (50-59° F) with moderate air circulation.
- Apply cold smoke at 10-24° C (50-75° F) for 3 to maximum 10 days, with relative humidity of 85 to 92%, using oak, beech or mixture of both woods. Smoking does not have to be continuous as long as low temperature is maintained. Cold smoking is drying with smoke. Fermentation takes place during the smoking step.
- When no more smoke is applied (smoke prevents growth of mold) the sausages are sprayed with Penicillium nalgiovense mold growing culture. The temperature is maintained at 10-24° C (50-75° F), 85% humidity for about 10-12 days.
- When the sausages are completely covered with white, grey, or white yellow mold, they are manually brushed what creates a better look and facilitates drying. Then the sausages are dried/matured at 10-15° C (50-59° F) for about 60 days. As the drying continues the humidity is lowered.
- Store sausages at 10-12° C (50°-55 F), 60-70% humidity.