Rosette de Lyon
Rosette de Lyon, a French dry sausage is the most famous of Lyon’s sausages. This traditionally dried sausage is made from lean pork, hard fat, garlic, wine and spices.
|Lean pork (shoulder)||700 g||1.54 lb|
|Pork back fat||300 g||0.66 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||28 g||5 tsp|
|Cure #2||5.0 g||1 tsp|
|Dextrose||3.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Sugar||2.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Garlic, minced||10 g||3 cloves|
|Nutmeg||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Ginger||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Cloves, ground||0.3 g||1/8 tsp|
|White wine||15 ml||1 Tbsp|
|T-SPX culture||0.12 g||use scale|
- Grind meat through 5/16” (8 mm) plate.
- Using a sharp knife cut partially frozen back fat into 5/16” (8 mm) cubes. Dilute culture in 1 tablespoon of de-chlorinated water 3o minutes before mixing.
- Mix ground lean meat with salt and cure #2 until sticky.
- Add fat cubes, culture and spices and mix all together.
- Stuff firmly into 50 mm hog or beef middles.Ferment at 20º C (68º F) for 72 hours, 90-85% humidity.
- Dry at 16 → 12º C (60-54º F), 85 → 80% humidity for 45 days. The sausage is dried until around 30% in weight is lost. The sausage should develop a white mold which is expected and desired.
- Store sausages at 10-12º C (50-53º F), <75% humidity.
Rosetta de Lyon is stuffed into 50-55 mm hog middles, however, if stuffed into pig’s bung or beef middles (> 65 mm), the name of the sausage changes to “Jésus de Lyon.” A larger diameter sausage will need 70 days or more of the drying time. The length of the sausage is about 20” (50 cm).