Chouriça de Carne de Vinhais
Chouriça de Carne de Vinhais, also known as Linguiça de Vinhais is produced in the area of Vinhais in Portugal.
Chouriça de Carne de Vinhais carries PGI, 1998 classification.
|Pork - loin, neck, butt, belly||1000 g||2.2 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of materials
|Salt||28 g||5 tsp|
|Cure #2||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Sugar||3.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Paprika||4.0 g||2 tsp|
|Bay leaf, crushed||1 leaf|
|Garlic||7.0 g||2 cloves|
|Red or white dry wine||60 ml||2 oz fl|
|Water||60 ml||2 oz fl|
- Cut meat into 1” (25 mm) cubes.
- Make a marinade by mixing all ingredients with wine and water.
- Mix meat with marinade and place for 12 hours in refrigerator. Drain.
- Stuff firmly into 32 mm hog casings. Make a ring by tying both ends together.
- Hold for 1-2 hours at room temperature.
- Apply a thin cold smoke at 18° C (64° F) for 14 days. Smoking need not to be continuous, for example the fire can be put out at night and restarted in the morning as long as the temperature inside of the smokehouse stays below 18° C. The sausage is smoked with oak, chestnut or a mixture of both.
- Dry at 12-15° C (54-59° F), 75% humidity for 21 days.
- Store at 12° C (54° F), 70% humidity.