Frankfurter-Smoked (Frankfurterki wędzone)
This cold smoked Polish sausage recipe comes from the official Polish Government archives.
|Lean pork||500 g||1.1 lb|
|Regular pork||500 g||1.1 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||21 g||3-1/3 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Sugar||2.0 g||1/3 tsp|
|Pepper||1.5 g||3/4 tsp|
|Nutmeg||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
- Curing: cut meat into 1-2” (2.5-5 cm) pieces and mix with salt and Cure #1. Pack tightly in container, cover with cloth and keep in refrigerator for 3 days.
- Grind pork through 5/16” (8 mm) plate.
- Mix pork with all ingredients until sticky.
- Stuff into 22 mm or larger sheep casings. Form 15-18 cm (6-7”) links leaving them in a continuous coil.
- Hang for 8 hours at 2-4° C (35-40° F), 85-90-% humidity or for 1 hour at room temperature.
- Cold smoke at 18-22º C (64-72º F).for 6-8 hours until light brown.
- Dry at 10-12° C (50-53° F) until 84% yield is obtained..
- Store sausages at 10-15º C (50-59º F), 75% humidity.