Pafitiko Loukaniko also known as Paphos sausage is produced in the Paphos province in Cyprus. Pafitiko Loukaniko carries PGI, 2015 classification.
|Semi-fat pork||1000 g||2.2 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt, coarse||28 g||4-1/2 tsp|
|Black pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Coriander||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Cumin||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Nutmeg||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Cinnamon||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Cloves, ground||0.3 g||1/8 tsp|
|Ginger||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Dry red wine from local Mavro grapes||120 ml||1/2 cup|
- Grind pork through 1/4” (6 mm) plate.
- Marinate ground pork with salt and the local red wine for 4 days.
- Drain any excess of wine, add spices and mix all together.
- Stuff into 32 mm hog casings and form 3-7 sausage links in each consecutive section.
- Dry sausages at 12 -15º C (53-59º F), low humidity for 30 days.
The sausages can be eaten at any time by frying or grilling them. They are often eaten with bread, cucumber and tomatoes. Traditionally made sausages were sun-dried.