Morcón is a very lean sausage that looks like an oval small rugby ball. The sausage is a very popular sausage in Extremadura region od Spain and Morcón Extremeńo is made from local Iberian pig meat which is renown its superior meat. Sliced morcón displays a vivid red color due to a large amount of pimentón used in its manufacture.
|Lean pork *||1000 g||2.2 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||30 g||5 tsp|
|Pimentón, sweet||30 g||5 Tbsp|
|Garlic, diced||15 g||4 cloves|
- Remove from meat all fat and connective tissue. Cut meat into 25 mm (1”) pieces.
- Mix with salt and spices. Hold for 24 hours in refrigerator.
- Stuff into pork large intestine blind cap (caecum) casing. The casing is about 18-25 cm long. The stuffed morcón looks like an oval small rugby ball.
- Hold at 20° C (68° F), 80-85% humidity, for 48 hours.
- Dry at 10-15° C (50-59° F), 80% humidity, for 3-6 months. The total time depends on the diameter of the sausage and temperature/humidity.
* at least 30% lean meat from pork shoulder (butt).