Longaniza de Payés
The name of this longaniza is derived from the catalan word "pagès" which means "peasant." Longaniza de Payés is a narrow and long dry sausage covered with mold.
|Lean pork, shoulder||800 g||1.76 lb|
|Pork belly||200 g||0.44 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||28 g||4.5 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Black pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Dextrose||2.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Sugar||2.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Sweet sherry||15 ml||1 Tbsp|
- Grind meat and fat through 6 mm (1/4") plate.
- Mix meat, fat and all ingredients. Hold the paste for 48 hours in refrigerator.
- Stuff into 55 mm pork middles. Prick air pockets with a needle.
- Dry/ferment at 24º C (75º F) for 12 hours, 90-85% humidity.
- Dry sausages for 30 days at 12-15° C (53-59° F), 75-80% humidity.
- Store at 10° C (53° F) in a cool and ventilated area or refrigerate.