Meats and Sausages
Longaniza o Chanfaino
Longaniza o Chainfaino originates in Lugo province of Galicia region. The sausage is made with pork heart, lungs, back fat and typical galician spices such as pimentón, garlic, oregano and onions. The sausage is smoked and dried and served hot with boiled potatoes, turnips and other vegetables.
|Pork meat, shoulder||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Offal meat (heart, lungs, spleen, stomach diaphragm)||800 g||1.96 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||24 g||4 tsp|
|Cure #1*||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pimentón, sweet||8.0 g||4 tsp|
|Pimentón, hot||4.0 g||2 tsp|
|Garlic||10 g||3 cloves|
|Oregano, dry||2.0 g||3 tsp|
- Grind pork meat with 10 mm (3/8”) plate.
- Chop offal meat into smaller pieces.
- Mix meats with all other ingredients and hold in refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Stuff firmly into 32 mm hog casing.
- Smoke at 18° C (64° F) with oak wood for 2-3 days. The smoking process may be interrupted as long as the temperature stays below 18° C (64° F).
- Dry at 12-15° C (53-5°9 F) for 21 days.
- Store at 12° C (53° F), <65% humidity.
* Optional. For stronger color and decreased possibility of meat spoilage the curing salt with sodium nitrite can be added. American pink cure #1 contains 6.25% of sodium nitrite. In other countries curing salt usually contains only 0.6% of sodium nitrite and can be directly substituted for the salt (24 g in this recipe).