Longaniza de Mezcla
Depending on a region of Spain this longaniza can be made from lean pork, semi-fat pork, including some offal meat (lungs, heart) or pork and beef.
|Beef, lean||550 g||1.21 lb|
|Pork, semi-fat (shoulder)||350 g||0.77 lb|
|Pork back fat||100 g||0.22 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||28 g||4.5 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||4.0 g||2 tsp|
|Pimentón, sweet||10 g||5 tsp|
|Pimentón, hot||10 g||5 tsp|
|Oregano, ground||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Garlic||3.5 g||1 clove|
|Wine||15 ml||1 Tbsp|
|Water||60 ml||2 oz fl|
- Smash garlic and using mortar and pestle grind it with wine into the paste.
- Grind meat and back fat through 12 mm (1/2") plate.
- Mix meat, fat and all ingredients adding water as necessary to produce a firm paste.
- Hold the paste for 48 hours in refrigerator.
- Stuff into 25-35 mm veal casings forming 40-60 cm (16-24") sections. Prick air pockets with a needle.
- Ferment at 24º C (75º F) for 12 hours, 90-85% humidity.
- Dry sausages for 12-14 days at 12-15° C (53-59° F), 75-80% humidity.
- Store at 10° C (53° F) in a cool and ventilated area or refrigerate.