Soppressata di Calabria
Sopressata di Calabria is produced in the Calabria region in Italy from locally grown and slaughtered pigs. Sopressata di Calabria carries PDO, 1998 classification.
|Lean pork: leg, shoulder loin||850 g||1.87 lb|
|Back fat, fat trimmings from the front of the loin||150 g||0.33 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||28 g||5 tsp|
|Cure #2||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Peppercorns, whole||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Dextrose||1.0 g||1/5 tsp|
|Sugar||1.0 g||1/5 tsp|
|Cinnamon||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Red peppers, ground||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Cloves||0.3 g||1/8 tsp|
|Garlic||3.0 g||1 clove|
|Red wine||10 ml||2 tsp|
|Starter culture, T-SPX||0.12 g||use scale|
- Grind lean meat through 5/16” (8 mm) plate.
- Cut fat into 1/4” (6 mm) cubes.
- 30 minutes before mixing dissolve starter culture in 1 tablespoon de-chlorinated water.
- Mix lean meat with all ingredients. Add fat cubes and mix again.
- Stuff into large 40-80 mm hog casings, middles or bungs. Make links 16-24” (40-60 cm) long.
- Ferment at 20º C (68º F) for 72 hours, 90 → 85% humidity.
- Dry at 15-12º C (59-54º F), 85→75% decreasing humidity for 40-80 days, depending on diameter. The sausage is dried until around 30-35% in weight is lost.
- Store sausages at 10-15º C (50-59º F), <75% humidity.
Soppressata is also known as Sopressata.