Meats and Sausages
The Feldgieker, also known Feldkieker, a type of German salami was already known in 1488 in the Hessian Büraberg near Fritzlar. In 1844, a full description of the "Feldkyker" (field watcher) was given: "Feldkyker " is a long Schlackwurst (sausage) in a thick natural casing which may have derived its name from the fact that when it – the long variety – is placed in a trouser pocket or hunting bag it sticks out of the pocket or bag and looks into the field. The base end is called the Feldkyke which at the thickest end is made of intestine (Die goldene Mark Duderstadt, Carl Hellrung, 1844).
|Lean pork||700 g||1.54 lb|
|Back fat||300 g||0.66 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||28 g||5 tsp|
|Cure #2||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Dextrose||2.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Sugar||2.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Coriander||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Caraway, ground||0.3 g||1/8 tsp|
|T-SPX culture||0.12 g||use scale|
- Grind pork through 5 mm (1/4") plate.
- Grind back fat through 5 mm (1/4") plate.
- Mix meat, fat and all ingredients together.
- Stuff into 55 mm pork or beef middles forming loops.
- Ferment at 20° C (68° F), 95 → 85% humidity for 3 days.
- Cold smoke at 18° C (64° F) for 24 hours.
- Dry at 14 → 12° C (58 → 53° F), 85 → 75% humidity for 5 weeks.
- Store at 10-12° C (50-53° F), <75% humidity.