Droë wors in Afrikaans literally “dry sausage” is a Southern African snack food. It is a thinner sausage so it can dry faster and need not to be refrigerated.
|Lean beef or venison||1000 g||2.2 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|Cure #2||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Dextrose||2.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Sugar||2.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Coriander, ground||4.0 g||2 tsp|
|Nutmeg||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Cloves, ground||0.3 g||1/8 tsp|
|Cider vinegar||45 ml||3 Tbsp|
- Cut the meat into 1” (25 mm) cubes.
- Mix with salt and cure #1, pack tightly, cover with clean cloth and place for 2 days in refrigerator.
- Grind through 1/4” (6 mm) plate.
- Mix with all remaining ingredients.
- Stuff in to 24 mm sheep casings.
- Dry for 2 weeks at 12-15° C (54-59° F), 75-80% humidity.
- Store at 12° C (54° F), 60-70% humidity.
This is a small diameter sausage so it will dry rapidly. Sausages of larger diameter are usually flattened to provide a larger surface area for drying.