Hungarian ‘Csabai kolbász’ or ‘Csabai vastagkolbász’ is produced within the administrative boundaries of the towns of Békéscsaba and Gyula.
produced within the administrative boundaries of the towns of Békéscsaba and Gyula.
Csabai Kolbász carries PGI, 2010 classification.
|Pork (shoulder, leg, loin, belly)||700 g||1.54 lb|
|Back fat||300 g||0.66 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||28 g||3 tsp|
|Cure #2||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Paprika, sweet||9.0 g||3 tsp|
|Paprika, hot||9.0 g||3 tsp|
|Caraway, crushed||3.0 g||1-1/2 tsp|
|Garlic, smashed||7.0 g||2 cloves|
- Meat is manually boned, which enables the thorough removal of sinews, gristle and connective tissue.
- Grind meat through 1/4” (6 mm) plate.
- Grind fat through 1/4” (6 mm) plate.
- Mix with salt, cure #2 and spices.
- Stuff into 40-60 mm hog or synthetic fibrous casings forming 8-22” (20 - 55cm) links.
- Apply a thin cold smoke for 3-5 days at 20° C (66° F), 70-90% humidity. Original Gyulai kolbasz was smoked with beech wood.
- Dry for 4 -6 weeks at 18° → 16° C (64-60° F), 90-92% humidity, then gradually reduce humidity to 70 → 65%.
- Store at 12° C (54° F), 65% humidity.