Chosco de Tineo
Chosco de Tineo is produced in Tineo municipality in the Asturías region in Spain. In 2011 Chosco de Tineo was granted PGI certificate (Protected Geographical Indication) and the sausage acquired fame and recognition. Chosco de Tineo is made exclusively from cuts of pork loin and tongue, seasoned, packed by hand in pig’s intestine, smoked and dried, giving it characteristics that differ from those of other types of sausage. When cut, the different pieces of meat used are clearly visible. The meat must not be minced. It is a special sausage made with high quality cuts, which means that it is reserved to a great extent for special occasions.
|Lean pork or loin||800 g||1.76 lb|
|Pork tongue||200 g||0.44 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||30 g||5 tsp|
|Pimentón||12 g||6 tsp|
|Garlic||10 g||3 cloves|
- Cut all meats into smaller chunks.
- Mix meats with all ingredients and hold in refrigerator for 2-3 days.
- Stuff firmly into pork caecum (bung cap – beginning of a large intestine).
- Smoke at 18° C (64° F) with oak wood for 7 days.
- Dry at 15-12° C (59-53° F), <65% humidity in a dark, well ventilated rom for 5 days.
- Keep refrigerated. Cook before serving. Place in a boiling water then cook at 80° C (176° F) for 2 hours or until the sausage reaches 72° C (160° F) internal temperature.