Chorizo de Bofe
Chorizo de bofe (bofe means lungs) is made with offal meat (lungs, spleen, stomach), skins and other meat by products which will be hard to obtain in metropolitan areas, however, in rural areas such meats and blood are usually processed first for sausages. The sausage is also known as sabadeño in Castilla, sabadiego in León and bofeños in Extremadura.
|Lean pork||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Beef, semi-fat||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Lungs, spleen, stomach, skins||400 g||0.88 lb|
|Trimmings rich in connective tissue, skins||100 g||0.22 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||24 g||4 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pimentón, sweet||30 g||5 Tbsp|
|Pimentón, hot||5.0 g||1 tsp|
|Oregano, ground||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Nutmeg||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Garlic, smashed||7.0 g||2 cloves|
|Wine||60 ml||2 oz fl|
- Take heart, lungs, stomach, skins and trimmings and cook in water (below boiling point) until soft. Drain and cool.
- Grind beef and pork through 8 mm (3/8") plate. Grind cooked meats through 3 mm (1/8") plate.
- Mix meats and all ingredients together. Hold for 12 hours in refrigerator.
- Stuff into 40-50 mm pork or beef middles.
- Ferment/dry at 22-24° C (72-75° F), 90% humidity for 48 hours.
- Dry at 14-15° C (57-59° F), 70% humidity for 30 days.
- Store at 10-12° C (50-52 F), 60-65% humidity or refrigerate.