Chanfaino or Longaniza
Chanfaino or chanfaina, also known as Longaniza Gallega originates in Lugo province of Galicia region. The sausage is made with pork heart, lungs, fat and typical galician spices such as pimentón, garlic, oregano and onions. It might be as well called sabadeña or sabadiego which are made in Galicia and in other parts of the country. The sausage is smoked and dried and served hot with boiled potatoes, turnips and other vegetables.
|Pork, semi-fat, shoulder||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Pork offal meat (heart, lungs, spleen, stomach diaphragm)||800 g||1.96 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||24 g||4 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pimentón, sweet||25 g||4 Tbsp|
|Pimentón, hot||5.0 g||1 Tbsp|
|Garlic||10 g||3 cloves|
|Oregano, rubbed||2.0 g||2 tsp|
- Grind pork meat with 10 mm (3/8”) plate.
- Chop offal meat into smaller pieces.
- Mix meats with all other ingredients and hold in refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Stuff firmly into 32 mm hog casing forming links or rings.
- Smoke at 18° C (64° F) with oak wood for 2-3 days. The smoking process may be interrupted as long as the temperature stays below 18° C (64° F).
- Dry at 12-15° C (53-5°9 F) for 21 days.
- Store at 12° C (53° F), <65% humidity.