Cervelatwurst or Zervelatwurst is a fine grind salami type smoked sausage made from pork and beef.
|Lean pork||400 g||0.88 lb|
|Beef, little fat and some connective tissue||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Back fat/neck fat||300 g||0.66 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||28 g||4.5 tsp|
|Cure #2||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Dextrose||2.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Sugar||2.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper, ground||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Pepper, whole||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Nutmeg||0.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Ginger||0.3 g||1/8 tsp|
|T-SPX culture||0.12 g||use scale|
- Grind all meats through 3 mm (1/8") plate. Cool and grind again.
- Grind partially frozen back fat through 3 mm (1/8") plate.
- Mix meats, and all ingredients together. Add fat and mix again.
- Stuff into 60 mm beef middles or synthetic protein lined fibrous casings.
- Ferment at 3 days at 20° C (68° F), 95 → 90% humidity.
- Smoke at 18° C (64° F) for 24 hours.
- Dry at 15→12º C (58 →53º F), 80-75% humidity for 6 weeks until sausage looses 33% of its original weight.
- Store at 10-12º C (50-53º F), <75% humidity.