Botillo de León
This is a large sausage from Castlla- León region of Spain which is stuffed into pork bung cap or stomach and weighing 1-1.5 kg. It is called botelo or butelo in Galicia, but in Castlla- León its name is “botillo.”
|Pork tails, ribs and jaws with attached meat||1000 g||2.2 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||30 g||5 tsp|
|Pimentón, sweet||15 g||7 tsp|
|Pimentón, hot||10 g||5 tsp|
|Oregano, dry||1.0 g||½ tsp|
|Garlic, smashed||7.0 g||2 cloves|
- Cut meats into 50-60 mm (2 “) long pieces.
- Mix salt with all spices adding a little water to create a paste.
- Mix meats with the paste and hold for 24 hours in refrigerator.
- Stuff firmly into a large diameter casing like 120-200 mm pork bung cap or into pork stomachs.
- Using oak wood apply cold smoke at 18° C (64° F) 3-4 days. Try to deliver smoke at least for 8 hours each day.
- Dry at 12-15° C (53-59° F), 65-75% humidity, for at least 3-4 days. For a drier sausage continue drying for 2 more weeks.
Serve by cooking in water (below the boiling point) for about 2 hours. Botillo de León is usually served with potatoes and vegetables.