For best results deer meat should be mixed with pork back fat, bacon or fatty pork trimmings.
|Deer meat||500 g||1.10 lb.|
|Pork belly or fat trimmings||500 g||1.10 lb.|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp.|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||½ tsp.|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|Mustard, ground||2.0 g||1 tsp.|
|Marjoram, dry||3.0 g||2 tsp.|
|Garlic||7.0 g||2 cloves|
|Cold water||100 g||⅜ cup|
- Grind all meats and fat through a 3/8” (10 mm) plate.
- Mix ground meat with all ingredients adding water.
- Stuff tightly into 32-36 mm hog casings. Make 6” long links.
- Hang overnight in a cool place.
- Preheat smoker to 130º F, (54º C) then apply hot smoke for 2-3 hours. In the last hour of smoking start slowly increasing the temperature to about 170º F, (77º C)
- Stop cooking when internal meat temperature is 160º F, (71º C).
- Shower sausages with cold water and hang to cool down.
- Store in refrigerator.
Sausage does not need to be smoked. After stuffing the sausage may be cooked for 40 minutes in hot water (176º F, 80º C).