A soft-textured English large smoked sausage typically made of pork and beef. Polony is usually sold encased in a vividly hued skin of either orange or red. Polony sausage is similar to bologna so its name suggests that “polony” might have been brought from “Bologna,” the Italian city known for this style of sausage. Typically sliced and served cold.
Prep time: 3 hours
Cook time: 1.5 hours
|Pork shoulder||600 g||1.32 lb|
|Pork trimmings rich in connective tissue (shoulder, legs)||100 g||0.22 lb|
|Lean beef||100 g||0.11 lb|
|Beef fat (suet)||200 g||0.44 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|White pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Allspice, ground||0.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Sage, ground||0.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Garlic, smashed||3.5 g||1 clove|
|Water||60 ml||2 oz fl|
- Grind: pork through 1/4” (6 mm) plate; pork trimmings with 1/4 (6 mm) plate; suet with 1/4” (6 mm) plate; beef with 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Using food processor emulsify pork trimmings and ground beef adding 60 ml water, salt, cure #1 and spices.Add ground pork and beef suet and blend again.
- Stuff into beef middles or 100 mm synthetic fibrous casings. Hang for 2 hours at room temperature.
- Apply medium hot smoke for 2 hours.
- Cook in water at 80° C (176° F) for 90 minutes or until meat reaches 72° C (160° F) internal temperature.
- Cool in cold water, hang in air to dry and refrigerate.