Hog’s Pudding - Cornish
Hog’s pudding is a type of sausage produced in the West Country. The West Country is a loosely defined area of south western England. often regarded as encompassing the historic counties of Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Somerset, and the City and County of Bristol.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
|Lean pork||550 g||1.21 lb|
|Fat||100 g||0.22 lb|
|Rusk||150 g||0.33 lb|
|Water||200 g||0.44 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of materials
|Salt||12 g||2 tsp|
|White pepper||4.0 g||2 tsp|
|Mace||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Nutmeg||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Thyme, rubbed||1.0 g||1 tsp|
|Cayenne||0.3 g||1/8 tsp|
- Soak rusk in water.
- Grind pork and fat through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Mix meat with spices and rusk.
- Stuff into wide hog casing or narrow beef runners.
- Cook in water at 80° C (176° F) for 40 minutes or until meat reaches 72° C (160° F) internal temperature.
- Cool in cold water, dry in air to evaporate moisture and refrigerate. The sausage is ready to eat without cooking.