Bread and Butter Sausage
An English traditional sausage. The recipe carries words “bread” and “butter” in its name, however none of these ingredients is actually used. The finished sausage is basically a high quality frankfurter or wiener.
|Veal||500 g||1.10 lb|
|Lean pork||400 g||0.88 lb|
|Pork belly||100 g||0.22 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||3.0 g||1-1/2 tsp|
|Cloves, ground||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Ginger||0.3 g||1/8 tsp|
|Water, cold||30 ml||2 Tbsp|
- Grind pork and veal through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Mix with all ingredients adding water until sticky.
- Cut belly into 1/4” (6 mm) cubes. Immerse the cubes for 10 minutes in a hot water (not boiling), drain and cool on a sieve.
- Add to the meat paste and mix all together.
- Stuff firmly into 24-26 mm sheep casings.
- Apply smoke at 60° C (140° F) for 45 minutes.
- Cook in water at 80° C (176° F) for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the water and lay down on a table to cool.