Saucisse de Pommes de Terre (French Potato Sausage)
French potato sausage made from ground meat and potatoes, carrots and leeks are often included. This sausage is popular in Northern Alsace (l’Alsace du Nord), the region famous for its wines and beers. Including potatoes in a sausage is practiced in many countries, for example Swedish Potato Sausage (Potatis Korv) or Spanish Papatera.
|Pork, butt||600 g||1.32 lb|
|Potatoes||300 g||0.66 lb|
|Carrots||50 g||1.76 lb|
|Leeks||50 g||1.76 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of materials
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|White pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Allspice||0.5 g||1.4 tsp|
|Nutmeg||0.5 g||¼ tsp|
- Boil potatoes until semi-cooked. Cool them.
- Clean carrots and leeks and cook in water until softer. Cool.
- Grind pork through 8 mm (3/8”) plate.
- Grind potatoes through 8 mm (3/8”) plate.
- Dice carrots and cut leeks into smaller pieces.
- Mix ground pork, potatoes, carrots, leeks and spices together.
- Stuff into 36 mm pork casings.
- Cook in water at 80° C (176° F) for 35 minutes.
- Cool and refrigerate.