Presskopf (Pressed Head Meat Sausage)
Presskopf is a German cooked sausage with meat inserts, usually cured head meat.
|Pork head meat||600 g||1.32 lb|
|Pork, lean with connective tissue||100 g||0.22 lb|
|Pork belly, medium fat||100 g||0.22 lb|
|Pork jowls||100 g||0.22 lb|
|Pork hocks and legs with skin||100 g||0.22 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.0 g||1/3 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Paprika||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Nutmeg||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Coriander||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Cardamom||0.3 g||1/8 tsp|
|Ginger||0.3 g||1/8 tsp|
|Garlic, smashed||3.5 g||1 clove|
- Cure split pork head and pork hocks in wet cure. Make 40° Salometer brine (10° Baume): 1 gal water, 333 g (0.73 lb) salt, 120 g (4.2 oz) Cure #1. About 1 quart (946 ml) of brine is needed for 1 kg of meat. Place meats in curing solution in a suitable container. Hold them completely submerged for 4-5 days. Drain and wash briefly.
- Remove skins and meat from cured head and legs. Boil skins at 95° C (203° F) until a finger is able to go through the skin. Grind skins through 3 mm (1/8") plate.
- Cut meat into 25 mm (1") chunks.
- Grind all other meat through 3 mm (1/8") plate.
- Mix ground meat with all ingredients.
- Stuff into pork or beef blind caps or beef middles.
- Hot smoke at 70° C (158° F) for 60 minutes.
- Cook in water at 80° C (176° F) according to the following rule: 15 minutes for each 1 cm (10 mm) of casing diameter.
- Immerse in cold water for 10 minutes. Cool in air until sausages reach 18° C (64° F) internal temperature.
- Cold smoke at 18° C (64° F) for 12 hours.