Maranho de Serta
Maranho, or stuffed goat sausage, is one of the more unique foods in Portuguese cuisine, originating in the Serta region of Portugal.
Prep time: 3 hours
Cook time: 1 hour
|Goat meat||500 g||1.10 lb|
|Rice, boiled||500 g||1.10 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Paprika, sweet||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Fresh mint, chopped||1 Tbsp||1 sprig|
|Parsley, chopped||1 Tbsp|
|General purpose or potato flour||50 g||1.76 oz|
|White wine||60 ml||2 oz fl|
|Lemon juice||15 ml||1 Tbsp|
|Water||60 ml||2 oz fl|
- Cook the rice, but don't overcook.
- Chop the meat into thin slices or grind through 10 mm (3/8") plate.
- Mix meat with rice and all ingredients in a mixing bowl and let marinate for 2 hours.
- Stuff the contents into goat’s stomach. You can use 100 mm (4") diameter synthetic casings.
- Place in a boiling water and cook at 80° C (176° F) for 60 minutes.
For a stronger red color, cut the raw meat into 1” (25 mm) pieces, mix with 1.0 g (1/4 tsp) cure #1 and hold for 48 hours in refrigerator.