|Pork belly fat, or soft fat trimmings||450 g||0.99 lb|
|Wheat flour||550 g||1.21 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||12 g||2 tsp|
|Pepper||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Sweet paprika||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Bay leaf, crushed||1||1|
|Nutmeg||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Garlic||7.0 g||2 cloves|
|White wine||60 ml||2 oz fl|
|Water||60 ml||2 oz fl|
- Grind fat through 3/8” (10 mm) plate.
- Mix with flour, spices and wine.
- Stuff into 36 mm hog casings making 12” (30 cm) horseshoe rings.
- Cold smoke with oak chips at 18° C (64° F) for 3 days.
- Cook in water at 80° C (176 °F) for 30 minutes.
- Store at 5-10° C (42-50° F).
Original Farinheira is smoked with holm oak, a large evergreen oak native to the Mediterranean region.