Alheira de Barroso-Montalegre
A Portuguese smoked sausage made in the municipality of Montalegre, in the Vila Real district. Alheira de Barroso-Montalegre carries PGI, 2007 classification.
Prep time: 2 hours
Cook time: 1 hour
|Pork||500 g||1.10 lb|
|Pork fat||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Poultry meat (chicken, turkey, duck) or rabbit||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Wheat bread||100 g||0.22 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of materials
|Salt||28 g||5 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Sweet paprika||4.0 g||2 tsp|
|Parsley, chopped||1 Tbsp|
|Onion||50 g||1/2 onion|
|Olive oil||30 ml||2 Tbsp|
- Chop meat and fat into pieces suitable for cooking. Place meat and fat in a pot, add some salt and cover with water. Occasionally soup greens are added for better flavor. Simmer the meat until soft; fat needs less cooking time. Drain meats but save the meat stock.
- Spread the meat on the table and separate meat from bones when the meat is still warm.
- Break up or cut up white bread (the crust can be left on) and soak in the hot meat stock for 60 minutes. Drain and squeeze the excesss stock out.
- Chop the onion and fry in a little fat until glassy.
- Mix shredded (chopped) meat and fat with bread, onions, chopped parsley, salt and spices.
- Stuff into 32 mm hog casings.
- Using oak wood apply a thin smoke at 18° C (64° F) for 3-4 days.
- Dry at 12-15° C (54-59° F), 75% humidity for 4 days.
- Store at 12° C (54° F), 70% humidity or refrigerate.