Zyviecka Sausage (Kiełbasa żywiecka)
Polish pork and beef smoked sausage from the city of Żywiec, the place where Polish best beer called “Żywiec” is made.
|Pork, lean||400 g||0.88 lb|
|Pork, semi-fat||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Pork with connective tissue||100 g||0.22 lb|
|Beef, semi-fat||150 g||0.33 lb|
|Hard fat trimmings||150 g||0.33 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||20 g||3-1/3 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Garlic||3.0 g||1 clove|
|Sugar||1.0 g||1/5 tsp|
- Dice lean pork into 3/4” (20 mm) pieces or grind through 3/4” (20 mm) plate.
- Grind semi-fat pork and hard fat trimmings with 3/8” (10 mm) plate.
- Grind pork with connective tissue and beef through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Using food processor emulsify beef with pork with connective tissue adding 25% (60 ml, 2 oz fl) crushed ice or cold water. Add cure #1 and spices during this step.
- Adding salt mix lean pork until sticky, then add semi-fat pork and continue mixing. Add ground fat and emulsified meat and mix everything well together.
- Stuff into beef middles of any size, synthetic cellulose or fibrous casings. Form 35-40 cm (14-16”) straight links. The ends tied with a twine, hanging loop on one end.
- Hang for 12 hours at 2-6° C (35-43° F) OR for 2 hours at room temperature.
- Apply hot smoke for 110-130 min until brown color with a tint of red is obtained.
- Bake sausages-in the last stage of smoking for 40-60 min at 80-90° C (176-194° F) until sausages reach 68-70° C (154-158° F) internal temperature. Cool in air and refrigerate.
- OR cook in water at 72-75° C (161-167° F) for 40-60 min until sausages reach 68-70° C (154-158° F) internal temperature. Cool in cold water, dry briefly and refrigerate.