Vavelska (Kiełbasa wawelska)
|Pork, lean||650 g||1.43 lb|
|Beef, lean with with connective tissue||250 g||0.33 lb|
|Hard fat trimmings||100 g||0.22 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||20 g||3-1/3 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Allspice||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Nutmeg||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Garlic||1.5 g||1/2 clove|
- Cut pork into 2” (50 mm) pieces. Mix with 12 g salt (2 tsp) and 2 g (3/8 tsp) of cure #1. Pack tightly in a container, cover with cloth and hold in refrigerator for 3 days.
- Dice pork into 3/4” (20 mm) cubes.
- Grind fat trimmings with 3/8” plate.
- Grind beef with 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Using food processor emulsify beef adding 20-25% (60 ml, 2 oz fl) of cold water. Add remaining salt, cure #1 and spices during this step.
- Mix/knead pork cubes until sticky. Add emulsified meat and mix all together.
- Stuff firmly into beef middles or 50-65 mm synthetic fibrous casings.
- Hang for 60 min at room temperature.
- Apply hot smoke 45-80° C (113-176° F) for 110-120 minutes.
- Bake in smokehouse at 80-90° C (176-194° F) for 40-60 min (thin smoke allowed) until sausages develop brown color and reach 68-70° C (154-158° F) internal temperature.
- Cool in air and refrigerate.
- To make a drier sausage continue after baking step as follows:
- Cool in air to 18° C (64° F).
- Apply warm smoke 24-32 C (75-90 F) for 2-3 hours. This step eliminates more moisture so the sausage can be stored at room temperature (<18° C/64° F).
- Cool in air to 12° C (53° F) or lower.
- Refrigerate or hang at 53° F (12° C).