Tourist Sausage-Polish (Kiełbasa turystyczna pieczona)
Polish pork and beef smoked sausage. Tourist sausages are small sausages which are easy to carry as a snack and many countries have their own version.
|Pork, lean||500 g||1.10 lb|
|Beef, any type||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Hearts (pork, veal, cow, sheep)||100 g||0.33 lb|
|Pork skins||100 g||0.22 lb|
|Meat trimmings*||100 g||0.22 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||1.5 g||3/4 tsp|
|Nutmeg||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Ginger||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
- Grind: pork - 3/8” (10 mm) plate; beef - 1/8” (3 mm) plate; hearts - 1/4” (6 mm) plate; skins and trimmings - 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Using food processor emulsify ground beef adding 20% (40 ml or 1.35 oz fl) cold water. Add pork skins, pork and veal trimmings, udders and head meat (if used) and emulsify. Add cure # 1 and spices during this step.
- Adding salt mix ground pork with ground hearts until sticky. Add emulsified meat and mix all together.
- Stuff into 26-30 mm hog or sheep casings. Link every 12" (25 cm).
- Hold for 30-60 min at room temperature (optional step, but recommended).
- Smoking: Drying - 20-30 min, thin smoke at 45-55° C (113-131° F); Smoking - 60 min, thick smoke at 45-55° C (113-131° F); Baking - 40-60 min, thin smoke at 75-90° C (167-194° F).
- Total time about 120 minutes until sausages reach 68-70° C (154-158° F) internal temperature and dark brown color with red tint.
- Cool in air. Keep refrigerated.
* veal trimmings, pork trimmings, udders, head meat (optional).