Tomaszovska Sausage (Kiełbasa tomaszowska)
Polish pork and beef sausage from the city of Tomaszów.
|Pork, semi-fat||150 g||0.33 lb|
|Beef, lean or semi-fat, without connective tissue||150 g||0.33 lb|
|Beef, lean or semi-fat with connective tissues||400 g||0.88 lb|
|Jowls, skinless||150 g||0.33 lb|
|Pork, veal or beef hearts||150 g||0.33 lb|
- Salt |18 g| 3 tsp
- Cure #1 |2.5 g| 1/2 tsp
- Pepper |1.5 g| 1 tsp
- Marjoram |0.5 g| 1/2 tsp
- Caraway |1.0 g| 1 tsp
- Garlic |3.0 g| 1 clove
- Maggi * |2.5 ml|1/2 tsp
- Grind: semi-fat pork - 3/8” (10 mm) plate; hearts - 3/8” (10 mm); beef without connective tissue - 3/8” (10 mm); beef with connective tissue - 1/8” (3 mm); jowls - 1/4” (5 mm).
- Using food processor emulsify beef with connective tissue adding 30-40% (120 ml, 1/2 cup) of ice or cold water. Add ground jowls and spices at this step.
- Mix ground hearts, beef without connective tissue and ground pork with salt and cure #1 until sticky. Add emulsified meats and remix all together.
- Stuff into 60 mm synthetic fibrous casings. Sausage in straight links, 16-18 “ 40-45 cm long. The ends tied with a twine, hanging loop 4-5” (10-12 cm) on one end. Hang for 2 hours at room temperature.
- Apply hot smoke for 80-100 min.
- Cook in water at 72-75° C (161-167° F) for 50-70 min until the sausages reach 68-70° C (154-158° F) internal temperature.
- Immerse (or shower) in cold water to cool sausages to 12° C (53° F) or lower. Keep refrigerated.
* Maggi® is the internationally famous cooking sauce.