Silesian Sausage (Kiełbasa śląska)
This smoked pork sausage comes from Silesia (Śląsk), highly industrial area of Poland.
|Pork, lean||350 g||0.77 lb|
|Pork, semi-fat||400 g||0.88 lb|
|Pork trimmings rich in connective tissue||250 g||0.55 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Coriander||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Garlic||2.5 g||1 clove|
- Grind: lean pork with 1/2” (12 mm) plate; semi-fat pork with 3/8” (10 mm) plate; pork trimming with connective tissue with 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Using food processor emulsify pork trimmings rich in connective tissue adding 35-45% (90 ml, 3 oz fl) crushed ice or cold water. Add spices when emulsifying.
- Mix lean and semi-fat pork adding salt and cure # 1 until sticky. Add emulsified pork and remix.
- Stuff into 32 mm hog casings. Form 5-6” (12-14 cm) links leaving them in a continuous coil. Hang for 30-60 minutes at room temperature.
- Apply hot smoke for 100-120 min until casings develop light brown color.
- Cook in water at 70-72°C (158-161°F) for 20-30 min until the sausages reach 68-70° C (154-158° F) temperature inside.
- Immerse (or shower) in cold water to cool sausages to 12° C (53° F) or lower. Keep refrigerated.
Marjoram may be added at 0.5 g (optional).