Serdelowa Sausage (Kiełbasa serdelowa)
Serdelowa is a high quality wiener type emulsified sausage. Its texture and taste similar to Polish Serdelki, but it is packed in a larger diameter casing and made into the ring shape. Served hot by poaching briefly in hot water.
|Pork, semi-fat||100 g||0.22 lb|
|Pork, semi-fat, rich in connective tissue||250 g||0.55 lb|
|Beef, any type||400 g||0.88 lb|
|Fat trimmings or skinless jowls||250 g||0.55 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper, white||1.5 g||1 tsp|
|Nutmeg or mace||0.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Garlic (optional)||1.5 g||1/2 clove|
- All meats and fat ground through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Using food processor emulsify all meats adding a little amount of cold water. Add salt, cure #1 and spices at this stage.
- Stuff into beef rounds of all sizes or 36 mm or larger hog casings forming rings. Sausages formed into 20-28” (50-70 cm) rings (outside diameter) and shaped by the beef middle twist characteristics. Both ends tied together with a twine.
- Hang at room temperature for 30 min.
- Apply hot smoke for 75-100 min until casings develop light brown color.
- Cook in water at 70-72° C (158-161° F) for 25-40 min until sausages reach 68-70° C (154-158° F) internal temperature.
- Immerse (or shower) in cold water and cool sausages to 12° C (53° F) or lower. Keep refrigerated