Serbian Sausage (Kiełbasa serbska parzona)
|Beef||400 g||0.88 lb|
|Pork back fat||600 g||1.32 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|Cure #1||1.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Paprika||2.0 g||1 tsp|
- Cut back fat into 1/2” (15 x 15 mm) strips. Rub salt into the strips all around and place them in refrigerator for 12 days. Salt for salting back fat, as needed, about 28 g (1 oz, 5 tsp)
- Wash briefly salted fat strips and dry with paper towel. Dice the fat strips into 1/2” (12 x 12 mm) cubes.
- Grind beef through 1/8” (3 mm plate) adding salt and cure #1.
- Mix (knead) ground beef with spices until sticky. Mix back fat cubes with paprika. Mix everything together.
- Stuff firmly into beef rounds or 36-40 mm hog casings. Make rings, tie the ends together.
- Hang for 12 hours in refrigerator OR for 2 hours at room temperature.
- Apply warm smoke for 3 hours until casings develop yellow color with red spots.
- Cook in water at 72-75° C (160-167° F) until sausages reach 68-70° C (154-158° F) internal temperature. Cool for 15 minutes in cold water. Dry briefly and refrigerate.