Popular Sausage (Kiełbasa popularna)
|Pork, semi-fat||600 g||1.32 lb|
|Pork rich in connective tissue||100 g||0.22 lb|
|Beef, semi-fat||300 g||0.66 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||20 g||3-1/3 tsp|
|Cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Garlic||1.5 g||1/2 clove|
- Grind semi-fat pork with 5/16” (8 mm) plate.
- Grind pork with connective tissue with 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Grind beef with 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Using food processor emulsify pork with connective tissue and beef adding 20-25% (90 ml, 3 oz fl) of cold water. Add cure #1 and spices during this step.
- Mix/knead semi-fat pork with salt until sticky. Add emulsified meats and mix everything together.
- Stuff firmly into beef rounds or 36-40 mm hog casings. Make rings and tie the ends together.
- Hang for 60 min at room temperature.
- Apply hot smoke 45-80° C (113-176° F) for 110-130 minutes.
- Cook in water at 72-75° C (160-167° F) for 40 min.
- Cool in cold water to 18° C (64° F). Dry briefly. The sausage is ready to eat. In the past the following steps were performed in order to make the sausage shelf stable and safe to be kept at room temperature.
- Smoke with cold smoke 22° C (71° F) for 12 hours OR
- with warm smoke 24-32° C (75-90° F) for 6 hours.
- Cool in air to 8-10° C (46-50° F).
- Store at 12° C (53° F) or refrigerate.