Loin Sausage (Kiełbasa polędwicowa pieczona)

Polish smoked and baked sausage with visible chunks of meat held together by emulsified beef.

MeatsMetricUS
Pork loin900 g1.98 lb
Beef, lean100 g0.22 lb
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
Salt18 g3 tsp
Cure #12.5 g1/2 tsp
Pepper2.0 g1 tsp
Nutmeg0.3 g1/5 tsp
Instructions
  1. Remove from loin any connective tissue and silver screen. Cut loin into 1.5” (4 x 4 cm) cubes. Mix with 90% of salt and cure #1. Cut beef into 5 cm (2”) pieces and mix with remaining 10% of salt and cure #1. Pack tightly in separate containers, cover with cloth and hold for 3 days in refrigerator.
  2. Grind beef through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
  3. Using food processor emulsify beef adding 25-30% (30 ml, 1 oz fl) cold water and spices.
  4. Mix (knead) loin cubes until sticky. Add emulsified beef and mix everything together.
  5. Stuff firmly into 55-65 mm beef middles or synthetic fibrous casings making 35-45 cm (14-18”). Make hanging loop.
  6. Hang for 2 hours at room temperature or for 1 hour in a preaheated to 43° C (110° F) smokehouse.
  7. Apply hot smoke at 55-60° C (130-140° F) for 60-80 minutes, increase temperature to 80-90° C (176-194° F) and bake for 2.5-3 hours. Total time of smoking and baking 3-4 hours, until sausages reach 68-70° C (154-158° F) internal temperature.
  8. Cool in air.
  9. Keep refrigerated.

Available from Amazon

Spanish Sausages

There is a negligible amount of information on Spanish sausages in English, and even the Spanish books offer only a few recipes with general information, very skimpy instructions and hardly any explanations. "Spanish Sausages, Authentic Recipes and Instructions" fills this void and the readers will know not only what is a chorizo, longaniza, salchichón, fuet, morcilla, butifarra, salchicha, sobrasada, fiambre, androlla, butelo, morcón as well as many others, but also learn how to make each sausage. Of special interest is a collection of 200 recipes which were chosen for their originality and historical value. The book is a highly recommended addition to personal and professional culinary additions.

The Greatest Sausage RecipesThe Art of Making Vegetarian SausagesMeat Smoking and Smokehouse DesignPolish SausagesThe Art of Making Fermented SausagesHome Production of Quality Meats and SausagesSauerkraut, Kimchi, Pickles, and RelishesHome Canning of Meat, Poultry, Fish and VegetablesCuring and Smoking FishHome Production of Vodkas, Infusions, and Liqueurs