Limanowska Sausage (Kiełbasa limanowska)
Polish sausage from the Limanowa area (Ziemia Limanowska), located high in the mountains, in the Southern part of the country.
|Veal, lean||800 g||1.76 lb|
|Veal, semi-fat||100 g||0.22 lb|
|Pork with connective tissue||50 g||0.11 lb|
|Pork hard fat trimmings||50 g||0.11 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||20 g||3-1/3 tsp|
|Cure # 1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Coriander||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
- Cut lean veal into 5-6 cm (2”) pieces.
- Grind semi-fat veal through 3/8” (8 mm) plate.
- Grind fat trimmings through 3/8” (8 mm) plate.
- Grind pork with connective tissue through 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Using food processor emulsify ground pork with connective tissue adding 20-30% (15 ml, 1 tablespoon) of crushed ice or cold water. Add remaining salt and spices at this stage.
- Mix/knead lean and semi-fat veal until sticky, then add emulsified mixture and mix everything together.
- Stuff into beef bungs or 55-65 mm cellulose casings. Form links about 40-45 cm (16-18”) long, make 4-5” (10-12 cm) for hanging.
- Hang for 12 hours at 2-6° C (35-43° F) OR
- for 3 hours at room temperature.
- Apply hot smoke for 90-100 min, then increase temperature to 80-85° C (176-185° F) and bake for 40 min. Total time 130-150 min until sausages reach 68-70° C (154-158° F) internal temperature. Cool in air and refrigerate.
To make a semi-dry sausage: dry for 1-2 days at 12-15° C (53-59° F), 75-80% humidity until 84% yield is achieved.