Lemon Sausage (Kiełbasa cytrynowa)
|Pork, lean||450 g||0.99 lb|
|Pork, semi-fat||450 g||0.99 lb|
|Pork trimmings rich in connective tissue||50 g||0.11 g|
|Beef, lean or semi-fat||50 g||0.11 g|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||18 g||3 tsp|
|Cure # 1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Nutmeg||0.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Sugar||2.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Lemon rind, grated||1/4 lemon|
- Cut lean and semi-fat pork into 1- 1/4 - 1- 1/5” (3-4 cm) pieces. Add 15 g (2-1/2 tsp) salt and 2.0 g (3/8 tsp) cure #1. Mix together and pack tightly in a container. Cover with a cloth and hold for 3 days in refrigerator. Grind through 3/8” (8 mm) plate.
- Grind beef and pork trimmings with 1/8” (3 mm) plate then emulsify in food processor adding 40-50% (50 ml, 1.5 oz fl) crushed ice or cold water. Add remaining salt, cure #1 and spices when emulsifying.
- Mix emulsified paste with ground pork.
- Stuff into beef bungs or 85-95 mm synthetic fibrous casings. Beef bungs: 14-24” (35-60 cm) lengths and laced up with twine. Two loops lengthwise and loops across the bung every 1.5-2 1/4” (4-6 cm). Fibrous casings: 14-16” (35-40 cm) lengths and laced up with twine. Two loops lengthwise and loops across the casings every 1.5-2” (4-5 cm). The ends tied up with twine, hanging loop 4-5” (10-12 cm) on one end.
- Hang for 1-2 hours at room temperature.
- Apply hot smoke around 55° C (130° F) for 130-160 min.
- Cook in water at 72-75°C (161-167°F) for 90-120 min until the sausages reach 68-70°C (154-158°F) internal temperature.
- Immerse (or shower) in cold water to cool sausages to 12° C (53° F) or lower. Keep refrigerated.