Kujawska (Kiełbasa kujawska parzona podsuszana)
Polish sausage from Kujawy region.
Prep time: 3 hours
Cook time: 1 hour
|Pork trimmings, smoked||700 g||1.54 lb|
|Pork with connective tissue||100 g||0.22 lb|
|Beef, semi-fat||100 g||0.22 lb|
|Jowls/dewlap or hard fat trimmings||100 g||0.22 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||20 g||3-1/3 tsp|
|Cure # 1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||2.0 g||1 tsp|
|Paprika||1.0 g||1/2 tsp|
|Garlic||1.5 g||1/2 clove|
- Grind: pork, smoked - 5 mm plate; jowls or fat trimmings - 5 mm plate; pork, connective tissue - 1/8” (3 mm); beef - 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Using food processor emulsify pork with connective tissue adding 20-30% (30 ml or 1.0 oz fl) cold water. Add salt, cure # 1 and spices during this step.
- Mix all meats and spices together.
- Stuff firmly into beef middles or 65 mm synthetic fibrous casings. Make links 40-45 cm (16-18”) long. Tie the ends together and make a hanging loop. Hang for 120 min at room temperature.
- Apply hot smoke around 55-60° C (130-140° F) for 90-120 minutes until casings develop light brown color.
- Cook in water at 72-75° C (160-167° F) for 50-70 min until sausages reach 68-70° C (154-158° F) internal temperature.
- Cool for 15 minutes in cold water. Keep refrigerated.
- The optional step for making semi-dry sausage:
- Dry for 1-2 days at 12-15° C (53-59° F), 75-80% humidity. Store at 12° C (53° F) or lower.
The original source of smoked pork meat used in this sausage were the meat trimmings left over from canning hams, butts and loins.