Camp Sausage (Kiełbasa wczasowa pieczona)
Polish smoked and baked sausage.
Prep time: 2 hours
Cook time: 1 hour
|Pork, some fat allowed (butt quality)||150 g||0.33 lb|
|Beef||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Lungs (pork, veal, beef, sheep)||200 g||0.44 lb|
|Hearts (pork, veal, beef, sheep)||100 g||0.22 lb|
|Jowls/dewlap (skinless)||250 g||0.55 lb|
|Pork skins, low grade pork, veal or beef trimmings||100 g||0.22 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Cure #1||2.5 g||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper||1.5 g||3/4 tsp|
|Ginger||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Allspice||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Garlic||1.5 g||1/2 clove|
- Grind: beef - 1/4” (6 mm) plate; pork - 3 /8” (8 mm) plate; hearts, jowls - 1/4” (6 mm) plate; lungs - 1/8” (3 mm) plate; skins and trimmings - 1/8” (3 mm) plate.
- Using food processor emulsify all ground meats (except pork and beef) with 30% (60 ml or 2 oz fl) cold water. Add salt, cure #1 and spices during this step.
- Mix ground pork, ground beef, and emulsified meats.
- Stuff firmly into 36 mm hog casings. Make 35-40 cm (14-16”) long links, keep in continuous coil.
- Hold for 60 minutes at room temperature. When casings feel dry apply thick smoke at 60° C (140° F) for 60 minutes.
- Bake for 40-60 min at 75-90° C (167-194° F), a thin smoke allowed.
- Total time about 120 minutes until sausages reach 68-70° C (154-158° F) internal temperature and dark brown color with red tint.
- Cool in air. Refrigerate.